So this was a delightful tome of sassy thievery. Which is honestly my FAVOURITE epic fantasy topic ever so I'm pleased. It was ultimately a little light for me, though...I mean, I spent far too much time hoping the stakes would grow higher but they all stayed pretty lowkey. It actually felt kind of YA??? But with characters in their low twenties. So if you're a mostly YA reader but looking for some epic fantasy = bring your eyeballs here.
(Plus there's no romance, like zero swearing, and not even that much blood.)
(Wow. No wonder I'm not knocked out of my chair with adoration. I need way more angry blood.)Basically it's the story of a sassy smooth-talking thief who kidnaps a king.
And also a fabulously capable and epic female wizard who takes no nonsense from anyone.
Yas. Two lovely things. Although I confess to being disappointed that Miranda featured WAY more than Eli. Like I really did like her!! But Eli was so interesting and he basically was just slouching through the whole book making jovial quips and talking the world into letting him do whateeeever he wanted and I wanted to know more about him!! But it was absolutely endless
relief to actually have an epic fantasy feature a woman who WASN'T a manic pixie dream girl, but instead an intelligent and capable warrior who needed 0% males swooning after her.
Did I mention no romance? Haha. It was SO REFRESHING.I also really liked the world!
In this universe, everything has a spirit and wizards work with the spirits of the worlds to keep peace or fight or whatever. It's all HUG THE TREES, YO, which is lovely. Although I do
have questions. THere's like small spirits in things from the doors to the ink you write with....so like...are there spirits in their clothes? Do they need to ask permission to wear their socks?? Or eat with a spoon?? I felt the world was a LITTLE hazy on the specifics.The plot wasn't complicated, but it was fun!
Actually I'll just accuse the whole book of that: A DELIGHTFUL LUMP OF FUN. It's not going to twist my feels (see aforementioned very
low stakes) but it made me smile so much!!
Except for those covers. Oh someone help them please. Worst covers ever.SMALL LISTS OF OTHER LOVES:
• there's a talking wolf/hellhound sort of creature whom I love
• Eli can literally talk a door into opening for him, LITERALLY.
• Eli believes if you see food while you're in the middle of a job, you should still eat it
• Yosef is an epic sword dude
• there's a cute demon girl whom the world hates but she's pretty chill tbh
• epic magic swords
• Eli steals all the things
• I have super many questions about his backstory so HECK YES I'M READING MORE BOOKS IN THIS SERIESSMALL LIST OF DISLIKES:
• the king was dumb
• the villain was super
• too much polite conversation when everyone should be killing each other
• it was too light/lowkey for me to be truly invested the whole time
• it was pretty predictableALL IN ALL: if you're a fan of epic fantasy con schemes and magic, try it!
The sass honestly had me grinning wildly and I have so many questions about Eli that I want to read mooooore. I loved reading a badass female wizard too!!! And I would like to see Eli steal literally everything from everyone. I mean, c'mon, the dude would steal your socks and then just smile charmingly and frolic away. #nice Reply